DigiMAP is a formal association of independent online journalism platforms (non-legacy media) of Pakistan. The Alliance’s mission includes:
- To be the representative body to safeguard the rights and interests of independent online journalism platforms in Pakistan that are not part of legacy media.
- To shield all its members against infringement of their constitutional and legal guarantees, including resisting repressive laws and regulations.
- To support business viability and resilience of its members and the independent online journalism sector of Pakistan as a whole.
- To serve as a bridge between the Alliance and the independent online journalism actors within Pakistan and its peers abroad.
- To serve as a bridge between the Alliance and the advertising sector and its representatives in Pakistan, as well as public sector advertising for digital media with relevant stakeholders in the federal and provincial governments.
- To develop strategies for engagement with federal and provincial governments on freedom of expression, right to information and online policies that affect the Alliance’s work, mandate and mission.
- To serve as a bridge between the Alliance and all public interest stakeholders such as civil society, human rights and digital rights actors, political parties, federal and provincial legislatures, all marginalized groups and national and international media development groups.
- To serve as a bridge between the Alliance and all relevant media regulators, including PTA [Pakistan Telecommunications Authority], PEMRA [Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority] and any others, to defend the interests of its members as well as media and digital rights.
- To serve as a self-regulatory body for members of the Alliance, to process complaints from the public about either conduct of the members or content they produce, especially with reference to misinformation, disinformation or fake news.